Evidence Fabrication in South Africa

Welcome to the public CLPEX.com Message Board for Latent Print Examiners. Feel free to share information at will.

Re: Evidence Fabrication in South Africa

Postby Interested2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Pottoman wrote: Inge's killer was at her funeral right enough.

... AND carried the coffin?
Interested2

Postby Pat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 am

South African detective Piet Byleveld, who has attained celebrity status in South Africa because of the extremely high clearance and conviction rate across his career, is confident he will solve the murder of Inge Lotz. As long time readers of this chat board will recall, certain members of the South Africa Police Service (SAPS) fabricated evidence to charge Inge's boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver with the murder. The fabrications were exposed as such at Fred's trial and he was acquitted. Subsequently, he sued the SAPS for malicious prosecution and won. Restitution is on hold while the SAPS are appealing that judgment. It will certainly bolster Fred's case and ensure restitution for expenses incurred in defending himself against the false charges when Det. Byleveld exposes the real killer.

Several articles appear in the news in South Africa today --
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... -1.1282624
http://news.iafrica.com/sa/791080.html
http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... -1.1282499

Here is the text of the first listed above:
Lotz case can be solved, says PI

April 24 2012 at 11:26am
By Murray Williams

Legendary detective Piet Byleveld left the Cape on Monday night after spending the past five days trawling through evidence linked to one of the province’s most notorious unsolved murders.

The retired ace detective has been hired by the family of murdered Matie student Inge Lotz, who was bludgeoned to death in her Stellenbosch apartment seven years ago.

“Having interviewed a number of key individuals over the past few days, I now have a much clearer picture in my mind of both the victim and what happened to her on the day that she died,” said Byleveld.

“In this job you have to get out into the field and talk to people. I’m very encouraged by the quality of information that has come to light.”

Byleveld said the case was complex, but solvable. He explained: “Inge Lotz was both an outstanding scholar and a talented musician, she had a brilliant mind and the world at her feet when she was murdered. I think it’s fair to assume that this beautiful young woman was killed by someone she knew, a trusted friend. More than that, I cannot say at this stage.”

Byleveld is collaborating with investigative writer Michael Day, who is Lotz’s biographer.

Day said: “I have tremendous respect for this distinguished detective, he takes nothing for granted, turning everything over in his mind.

“He’s relentless once he smells blood – that’s what makes him so devastatingly effective.”

In a statement issued by Byleveld and Day, Lotz’s father, Professor Jan Lotz, is quoted as saying: “Piet is absolutely the right man for the job, there is none better in South Africa, and he will find my daughter’s killer, of that I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever.”

Byleveld visited the crime scene outside Stellenbosch over the weekend with Inge’s mother, Juanita Lotz.

It was at Lotz’s apartment at Welgevonden estate, on the R44 towards Paarl, that she was murdered between 4pm and 6pm on the afternoon of March 16, 2005. She was 22.

Soon after the discovery of her body, her boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver, was seen as the prime suspect. But after a lengthy and controversial trial, Judge Deon van Zyl rejected all aspects of the State’s case and acquitted Van der Vyver on November 29, 2007.

Last month, Lotz’s father offered a R1 million reward to find her killer.

Anyone with information can send it “in absolute confidence” to Bloemfontein attorney Johan Jordaan on 082 338 5318, the team says. - Cape Argus

I wish the very best of luck (although "luck" has little to do with it) to Det. Byleveld. The Lotz family needs closure so the can live in peace knowing Inge's killer has been brought to justice. And Fred van der Vyver needs final vindication so he can move forward with his life.
The views presented in this post are those of the author only. They do not necessarily represent the views of DoD or any of its components.
Pat

Postby expat_SA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 pm

I am seaching the Internet today for news on Piet Byleveld and this case and find this site. The Lotz murder was all the news a few years ago in Cape Town. My heart bleeds for the poor family who lost their only daughter. The South Africa Police messed this up from the first. Now it appears a solution is possible. I think the man originally arrested for the murder must have information. He was engaged to the murdered woman, was he not? I think he should be working closely with Mr. Byleveld to find the killer. What is his thoughts on how this detection effort is going? Does he read this blog or contribute? I and my friends would be very interested in his thoughts.

expatriate South African
expat_SA

Postby pottoman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

expat_SA wrote:I think the man originally arrested for the murder must have information. He was engaged to the murdered woman, was he not? I think he should be working closely with Mr. Byleveld to find the killer. What is his thoughts on how this detection effort is going? Does he read this blog or contribute? I and my friends would be very interested in his thoughts.

Welcome to the board ‘expat_SA’.

I hope you’re not another one of those disillusioned former SAPS officers who have deserted us for the boring wasteland of Western Australia, Arizona or worse ?

If you are, please come back, all is not lost with our beloved country, the Sheriff just rode into town and he’s gunning for a miserable, low-life, dirty rotten killer, and he’s mad as hell.

Byleveld is his name, the Cheyenne might perhaps have called him 'Prairie Axe'.

More locally he is known in the poorest of townships as ‘The White Kaffir’ because this legendary crime fighter helps black families as well as white find the monsters who murder their children.

He doesn’t discriminate, he doesn’t judge, a man who kills a defenceless young woman is the same to him in any language - a gutless piece of scum.

He will find the coward who bludgeoned poor Inge to death in the supposed sanctity of her own home.

And he will expose him for the entire world to see.

Meanwhile the van de Vyver family must be feeling hugely encouraged by the recent news and experiencing an enormous sense of relief knowing that the end is almost in sight.

Now that the killer is about to be exposed, along with the hard evidence to back it up, they can perhaps look forward to a brighter dawn ahead.

And poor Inge’s parents can, at long last, begin the painful and lonely ordeal of grieving her tragic loss in peace.
pottoman

Postby BrightYoungMind » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Jan + Juanita + Fred – Inge = Murder.

Murder + SAPS + DPP + fabricated evidence = Trial of Fred.

Fred + Pat + Bill + Arie + Gert + Dup - fabricated evidence = Acquittal.

Acquittal + Fred + Dup + Bill + Arie + Gert = Civil Claim.

Civil Claim + Fred + Dup + Bill + Arie + Gert – Attie = Forty-six million Rand.

Attie + Kosie + Ruben + Luigi = Appeal.

Appeal + Attie + Kosie + Ruben + Luigi – Anton + vdV = Appeal dismissed.

Attie + Kosie + Ruben + Luigi = Appeal.

Jan + Juanita + Piet + R1 million = Courage.

Courage + Piet + R1million + Media = Action.

Action + Courage + Piet + R1million + Media + vdV = R46million.

R46million + Action + Courage + Piet + R1million + Media - vdV = Panic.

Panic + Action + Courage + Piet + R1million + Media = SILENCE.

SILENCE = ?
BrightYoungMind

Postby Interested2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:40 pm

pottoman, was your suspect one of the pallbearers?
Interested2

Postby Truth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:40 am

I have been following this blog for a while now and cannot help wondering what purpose some of the valueless emotional writing serves? It is often nothing more than useless speculation that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of evidence fabrication.

I am also of the opinion that one of the members tends to refer to himself on a regular basis.... please do not use this for self promotion and rather use this forum to address the important issue of evidence fabrication.....
Truth

Postby BrightYoungMind » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:31 am

Truth wrote:.. please do not use this for self promotion and rather use this forum to address the important issue of evidence fabrication.....

Spoken like a real 'snake in a suit' dude, what have you got to hide ?

If you're so interested in evidence fabrication, then fess up your real name man - who are you and WTF do you know about forensics anyway ?

There's a real-life drama unfolding here, lawyers are getting their stuff stolen and you want us to get all academic ?

Jeez, what planet are you on anyway - Jupiter ???
BrightYoungMind

Postby Truth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks for the entertaining answer!

It still does not contribute anything towards the topic of Evidence Fabrication or the solution to the case in question....

And for the record - I actually do know a bit about forensics, possibly even a lot !
Truth

Postby African » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 am

Hi BYM
I found your equation very interesting. I checked it, and it seems to be correct.
Did you not know the last one, or is this like a quizz for someone new to answer in order to continue blogging (or gain some status)?

Truth, if you can answer that one correctly - then I will keep to the heading of this thread - i.e. Evidence fabrication in South Africa.
Truth, seeing you are quite new here, and possibly not know a lot about the case, it should only be fair to give you a hint.
The first letter of the answer to the question that BYM did not complete (the last one) starts with a G
African

Postby Pat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:00 am

The plot thickens:

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... -1.1283428

Lotz case: advocates’ laptops stolen
April 25 2012 at 09:59am
By SAPA

Laptop computers belonging to two advocates working on the Inge Lotz murder case were stolen from their Cape Town offices over the weekend, it was reported on Wednesday.

On Saturday night, the office of advocate Barry Pienaar was broken into, and on Sunday night, the office of advocate Dup de Bruyn.

Their offices were on different floors, Beeld reported.

Pienaar's computer, as well as memory sticks and backup DVDs containing information, was stolen from a drawein his secretary's desk.

De Bruyn said on Tuesday that someone had broken the lock on his office door, and taken his computer as well as a bag containing his toga.

“In an office complex with 35 advocates, they targeted me and advocate Pienaar... it's very strange,” De Bruyn said, adding that the two offices were quite some distance apart.

Everything they were working on was stolen, and whereas advocate De Bruyn had a backup system for his files, advocate Pienaar lost all his files and research.

Fanie Zaayman, district manager for the security company responsible for safeguarding the building, said it looked like the theft was more about acquiring specific data than about stealing computers.

Matie student Lotz was bludgeoned to death in her Stellenbosch apartment seven years ago.

Private detective and former policeman Piet Byleveld was recently asked by her parents to investigate the murder. – Sapa

It would appear Det. Byleveld has more than a murder to consider in putting the pieces of this puzzle together.
The views presented in this post are those of the author only. They do not necessarily represent the views of DoD or any of its components.
Pat

Postby Truth » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks African,

I feel a bit more welcome now!

I am very familiar with the case - no explanations needed.

Thank you for the tip (G). I fully understand. As a scientist who only consider facts I do not necessarily agree, though. But hey, you never know!

It is likely that I will give you my take on things next week sometime - just get a bit of peer review done first.......
Truth

Postby Pat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am

It occurs to me that Fred had a hard drive stolen early in the case, long before his trial. He had transferred all of his documents and information from his computer to an external hard drive to take to his attorney, but it was stolen from his truck before he could deliver it. That was before the days of the Cloud or other off site back up and storage methods. One has to hope that with the burglary of Fred's vehicle and the theft of his hard drive, the attorneys in question had all of their files backed up so that information wasn't entirely lost. I realize that having someone on "the other side" get the information is bad enough, but losing it altogether would be a major crippling blow.
Pat

Postby pottoman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am

African wrote:
The first letter of the answer to the question that BYM did not complete (the last one) starts with a G

Oh I get it.....

SILENCE = Golden
pottoman

Postby African » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 am

pottoman,
This is Truth's hint. Not yours. He submitted the answer for peer review and we should get it next week.
African

PreviousNext

Return to Public CLPEX Message Board