Lotz father offers R1m reward
Marlene Malan, Rapport
Cape Town – Exactly seven years after Matie student Inge Lotz, 22, was murdered, her father has offered a reward of R1m for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the murderer of his only child.
Lotz’s boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver, 29, was acquitted of her murder in a drawn-out court case in 2007.
Professor Jan Lotz said he had lost all faith in the police. “The time has come for me to do something about the case myself.”
“Out there is a psychopath who killed my child in the cruellest possible manner. For 10 months we sat in court listening how police messed up the investigation… Somewhere there has to be someone with a piece of information to complete the puzzle.”
“For this I’m willing to pay R1m.”
Lotz said there were many questions regarding the investigation and subsequent court case that bothered him.
“I’m looking for the towel, which the murderer used to wipe up Inge’s blood and clean the bathroom floor. Then I’m looking for the magazine left by the murderer on her lap and opened at an article about someone in her circle of friends.”
He said he was willing to pay for evidence to be sent to an American lab for forensic testing. He said police had told him that evidence had disappeared after being removed from a judge’s office.
Lotz said there was nothing left for him but to search for justice for his child. “Before I die, that is the least I can do for her. No amount of money is too much for this.”
“I will never have peace if I don’t know who committed this terrible crime.”
Lotz family flooded with calls after reward offered
March 20 2012 at 03:37pm
By Zara Nicholson
Numerous calls have been received by the family of Inge Lotz – who was found murdered in her Stellenbosch flat seven years ago – since her father posted a R1 million reward for information.
And the author of the biography of the slain Stellenbosch university student says this move highlights the “inefficient and clumsy” investigative by police who bungled the case.
Seven years after her murder on March 16, 2005, her family has still not seen justice. Now her father, Professor Jan Lotz, is offering R1m for the killer’s conviction.
Lotz was 22 when she was found murdered in her Stellenbosch flat – she had been bludgeoned to death. Soon after her murder, her boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver, was arrested and later stood trial but was acquitted in November 2007.
During his trial, the police’s shoddy work dismantled the State’s case, with Judge Deon van Zyl rejecting all aspects of their case when setting Van der Vyver free.
Van der Vyver later successfully took the Minister of Police to court for malicious prosecution, but the State is appealing the ruling.
Attorney Johan Jordaan, who is the contact person for people with information, said that since the weekend they had received numerous calls and were following up on all leads. “Many people have addressed issues in the bigger picture of the case and there have been fractions of information from all over,” Jordaan said.
Meanwhile Michael Day, author of the Inge Lotz biography Inge – A life cruelly betrayed, says her father’s reward should be seen as a message that the case would not be swept away.
“Professor Lotz’s announcement of an unprecedented R1m reward for information leading to the capture of his daughter’s killer cannot be dismissed lightly as the final act of a desperate man crying out in the face of a paralysed criminal justice system that has clearly let him down,” Day said.
In the light of the latest appeal by the Lotz family, Day said it was necessary to remind the public about Van Zyl’s words when commenting on the Lotz enquiry: “Although I am reluctant to question the functioning of the police, it would appear that inefficient and clumsy investigative work took place in the early stages of this case.”
Day added that in a scathing 43-point police memo, written four weeks into the enquiry, the investigating officer was lambasted for failing to conduct even the most elementary of procedural enquiries. - Cape Times
Lotz family flooded with new info
Cape Town - The family of murdered Stellenbosch student Inge Lotz has been flooded by people calling in with information about the highly-publicised murder seven years ago.
This comes after Professor Jan Lotz offered a R1m reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Inge’s killer, the Cape Times reported.
Numerous calls had apparently been received regarding various aspects of the case and all leads were being followed up, said attorney Johan Jordaan, who is dealing with the calls.
He said information was coming in from “all over”.
Inge’s boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver was charged with her murder, but acquitted in 2007.
During the trial, shocking revelations were made about police inefficiency and clumsiness while investigating the murder.
Byleveld hunts Lotz’s killer
March 28 2012 at 07:45am
By Murray Williams
South Africa’s most celebrated detective has answered a father’s cry for help and started the hunt for a murderer who has evaded justice for seven years.
This development came on Tuesday as legendary killer-hunter Piet Byleveld flew from Joburg to Cape Town and met Professor Jan Lotz, father of slain Matie Inge Lotz.
The brilliant student was bludgeoned to death at the age of 22 in her Stellenbosch flat on the afternoon of March 16, 2005.
Soon after the discovery of her body, her boyfriend, Fred Van der Vyver, emerged as the prime suspect.
But in a trial described by investigative author Anthony Altbeker as “one of the most sensational and controversial murder trials in SA legal history”, Judge Deon van Zyl rejected all aspects of the State’s case and acquitted Van der Vyver on November 29, 2007.
No one has since been tried or convicted of the murder.
Two weeks ago, Lotz told the Cape Argus: “I need peace, before I depart from this world. And that peace can only happen when I know. I am offering a personal reward of R1 million for any information which leads to the successful prosecution of a party or parties in connection with the murder of my daughter.”
As of Tuesday, his daughter’s killer or killers are being hunted by Byleveld, who retired from the SAPS at the end of June 2010. Byleveld now works for private security company CSS Tactical.
His CV on the company website records how “Byleveld solved many high profile cases, such as the Sheldean Human murder (2006), the Leigh Matthews abduction and murder (2004), Johannesburg mine dump serial killer (2003), the Hillbrow serial rapist (2003) and the Kranskop serial killer (1996)”.
“This dedicated and thorough Investigation Officer will leave no stone unturned to bring offenders to book. His efforts have been consistently rewarded by the SAPS and he has received numerous medals for combating terrorism, faithful service, long service and he is one of only seven police officers to date who have received the prestigious SAPS Commendation Medal.”
Asked if it was possible that evidence could still exist, Byleveld told the Cape Argus: “In any murder case, there is always the possibility of evidence you can use. If evidence exists, I will do my utmost best to find it.”
Byleveld works in partnership with Bushy Engelbrecht, another celebrated senior former policeman.
According to his CV, Engelbrecht has supervised numerous high profile investigations, including the politically motivated Shobashobane massacres in Port Shepstone and the Richmond (KZN) killings.
Lotz, speaking at his home in Welgemoed, told the Cape Argus: “I put a million rand on the table, and I needed probably the best I could find. In my mind, I could not have found a better man than Piet Byleveld.”
Lotz put up the money about 10 days ago for anyone who could help in catching his daughter’s killer.
Asked by the Cape Argus whether he had concerns about his or his wife’s personal safety by offering the massive reward, he told the Cape Argus recently: “So be it. Without this knowledge, my life is nothing. It’s not vengeance I am seeking, it’s not retribution.
“I can’t live without knowing. I just want the truth. Today, I am not living… I am just existing.”
Of Byleveld’s plan, he said on Tuesday: “Piet will be the leading investigator, backed up by teams in Johannesburg and Cape Town. I will be paying him as a normal client.
“I would like Mr Byleveld to provide me with the answer to ‘who killed Inge Lotz on March 16, 2005?’ “
Asked if he needed her killer to be jailed, he said: “No, I just want the answer.”
Lotz said he had been impressed when Byleveld told him he would be re-investigating the case from scratch.
“He said: ‘Always starts at the very beginning. Everything that is on the table will be looked at.’”
Asked whether he and his wife, Juanita, would find it difficult to endure the re-examination of all the evidence yet again, he said: “I think my wife finds it difficult, but she’s positive – as I am – that we are on the right track.”
Furthermore, Lotz said he was greatly encouraged by information relating to the case sent to his attorney in Bloemfontein since posting the R1m reward.
“The response has been beyond our expectation. A whole series of things, some very interesting information (had been submitted). We’re doing a sifting process and that information we believe important will be sent to Mr Byleveld,” Lotz said.
The Cape Argus approached Altbeker with the news, and he said: “Good luck to them. A lot of people have been trying.”
Altbeker said he believed the case was “stale”, by which he meant that any evidence could possibly not be usable in court. “But I hope it’s cracked,” he said of the case.
From acquittal to civil action – drama in court:
*March 16, 2005: Inge Lotz is bludgeoned to death in her Stellenbosch flat.
*June 15, 2005: Lotz’s boyfriend, Fred van der Vyver, pictured, is arrested for her murder.
*June 16, 2005: Van der Vyver makes his first appearance in the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court. He’s granted R10 000 bail.
*February 12, 2007: Van der Vyver’s trial starts in the Western Cape High Court.
*November 29, 2007: Van der Vyver is acquitted of murder.
*March 14, 2008: Lotz’s parents sue Van der Vyver for damages.
*May 14, 2008: Van der Vyver sues the Minister of Safety and Security for damages.
*May 21, 2009: Lotz’s parents drop the civil suit and the parties reach a settlement agreement not to sue one another or make any statements to the media.
*November 11, 2010: Van der Vyver’s civil suit against the minister starts in the Western Cape High Court.
*August 15, 2011: Van der Vyver wins the civil action.
*September 15, 2011: The high court refuses to grant the minister leave to appeal the decision in the civil action. The minister petitions the Supreme Court of Appeal.
*November 17, 2011: The Supreme Court of Appeal gives the minister the go-ahead to appeal the decision.
*March 16, 2012: Lotz’s parents post a R1million reward for info that leads to the prosecution of their daughter’s killer.
Byleveld’s successful cases:
*West End serial killer Jack Mogale who killed 16 people and was convicted of murder and rape in 2011. He committed the crimes inareas south of Joburg between March 2008 and March 2009.
*Seven-year-old Sheldean Human’s body was found in a stormwater drain in Pretoria 15 days after she vanished in February 2007. Her killer, Andrew Jordaan, 30, was arrested after confessing to Byleveld.
*Byleveld investigated the assassination of mining magnate Brett Kebble in 2005 and claimed he had proof that the self-confessed killers had put out a hit on him. Mikey Schultz and Nigel McGurk were given amnesty from prosecution after they turned state witness.
*Donovan Moodley, who kidnapped then murdered 21-year-old Leigh Matthews.
*Serial killer Cedric Maake who shot 23 people and raped 15 women. He was known as the Wemmer Pan Killer because it was in that area of Joburg that he targeted most of his victims
Interested2 wrote:Semantics, African. I intended no harm.
What difference does it make when I joined? When did you join this forum? Seems like you also joined a very long time after the discussion started?
Interested2 wrote:I've read some of your previous posts and in one of them you say that you know who did it. This was some time ago and I would like to know if you've changed your mind.
In some of the papers the father, Prof Jan Lotz, is quoted as saying that he is convinced that the murderer is one of the people who was at the funeral and carried her coffin. Do you share this belief?
Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 0 guests