latent processing of submerged firearm

Welcome to the public CLPEX.com Message Board for Latent Print Examiners. Feel free to share information at will.

latent processing of submerged firearm

Postby Identify » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:36 am

I have a black metal and lacquered wood long gun that was found in a freshwater body of water. The Officer who recovered the firearm collected enough lake water to keep the gun submerged until we are able to process it. Our Firearms Unit will be waiting to receive it immediately afterwards so they can oil it to prevent rusting.
It has been a long time since my latent processing training. Is there anything newer, shinier, more effective than the traditional methods from 10 or 20 years ago?
Thanks
Identify

Re: latent processing of submerged firearm

Postby SConner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 am

I recently processed a handgun recovered from a toilet tank. We've tried letting them air dry and then processing them normally and tried processing them with SPR immediately after recovery. I don't think that either method is that reliable and falls into the well we have to try something route. I think our current "best" option has been decided to swab the textured areas and then process it with SPR.
SConner

Re: latent processing of submerged firearm

Postby SMHanna » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

There was an article on processing of submerged handguns in a relatively recent issue of Evidence Technology Magazine vol. 9 number 5. The article can be found at http://www.evidencemagazine.com/index.p ... iew&id=658

There a link at the top to the to the online version of the magazine. In quickly glancing through it, it looks as if they processed the guns with "Wetprint", then fried them with a heat gun, then CA. You may be able to get one of the authors to share more info.
SMHanna

Return to Public CLPEX Message Board