Using tablets for latent tracing/documentation

Welcome to the public CLPEX.com Message Board for Latent Print Examiners. Feel free to share information at will.

Using tablets for latent tracing/documentation

Postby jchooper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Has anyone had good experiences using a tablet, such as Bamboo or Cintiq, for tracing latent prints ?
jchooper

Re: Using tablets for latent tracing/documentation

Postby akstephen » Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm

We have the Bamboo tablets in our lab. They do make it easier to trace ridge detail. Not perfect by any stretch, but my easier than the mouse.
akstephen

Postby josher89 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I've been using the Bamboo for about three years now...once you get used to it, it works really well. Much better than the mouse, that's for sure! There are several settings you may want to tweak if you are using it; the main one being the Pen Mode option. Use this to mask your screen rather than willy nilly. It will make tracing that much better.
"It is possible to reconstruct a fingerprint with positive accuracy from a verbal description received by telephone or telegraph."
--E.K. Thode, chief of the National Division of Identification and Information, circa 1930
josher89

Postby Steve Everist » Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Just out of curiosity - do you trace latents for AFIS entry only, or is there another reason?

We've been out of the practice of tracing since moving from NEC to Morphotrak, but I didn't see it as something that was done so often and was so cumbersome that I'd have to get a tablet to do it.

Are you freehand tracing the latent prints? If so, grab your brush tool and click at a start point. Hold the left shift button and then just click along the ridge's path. Photoshop will fill in the line between clicks. When you get to tighter curves, just click more often and closer together. And if you screw up a click, just CTRL-ALT-Z back in history until you can start over again (which will require a new first click to anchor the start point).
Steve E.
Steve Everist
Site Admin

Postby Pat » Wed May 02, 2012 8:49 pm

I am not in the lab doing comparisons anymore, but the folks I know who are, and who use the WACOM (pronounced "Way -- Com), swear by it. It is a large screen monitor and you can draw on it directly in Adobe Photoshop. I know a lot of members of this chat board know more about this tool than I do.
The views presented in this post are those of the author only. They do not necessarily represent the views of DoD or any of its components.
Pat

Postby Neville » Tue May 08, 2012 3:45 pm

In NZ we still have NEC and stopped tracing about 20 years or more ago. I wonder is anyone out there still using the bellows camera with 5x4 negs?
Neville

Postby Mike Fletcher » Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 pm

G'day Neville,

so if the Kiwis lost it 20 years ago and as we all know you are 10 years behind the rest of us............then where does that leave the whole concept of tracing?

Regards, Mike

ps how long before 'Deans the Dud' returns home?
Mike Fletcher

Postby Neville » Sun May 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Mike
Lost is not the word I would have used here more like rejected As it removed 3 hole steps in the process. But then you wouldn't understand the difference between NEC binary photography and and 256 grey scale. Tracing belongs in the Fred Flintstone and bellows cameras.

As for Robbie he can only work with what he is given and who's the world champs then?

Regards Neville
Neville

Return to Public CLPEX Message Board