AFIS Entry of Digital Files of Latent Prints

Welcome to the public CLPEX.com Message Board for Latent Print Examiners. Feel free to share information at will.

AFIS Entry of Digital Files of Latent Prints

Postby George Reis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:49 am

I'd like to know which AFIS systems will accept digital files for searching, and how the images need to be prepared. If you use an AFIS, can you post what system you use, whether it accepts digital files of latents, and if so, what parameters need to be met (i.e., file format, color space, size, etc.). No need for duplicate posts if your system is already listed - unless you have different parameters then what is listed. If you'd rather, you can e-mail me the results at reis (at) imagingforensics.com.

Thanks!

George
I can resist anything except temptation - Oscar Wilde
George Reis

Re: AFIS Entry of Digital Files of Latent Prints

Postby ER » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Sagem MetaMorpho

Accepts TIFF, JPEG, Sagem RAW, or BMP

Accepts Greyscale or RGB (but then immediately converts to greyscale)
Not sure about CMYK, Lab, etc.

I don't know if there is a size limit, but I usually crop the image to the latent before import.
Image size is usually between 1MB and 8MB and 1200 and 3000 pixels square. But I've never run into a size limit.

The image must be sized to 1000 ppi before import or adjusted in the program to be 1000 ppi.
ER

Postby josher89 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:13 pm

George,

We use Motorola's Printrak BIS.

Accepts .tif, .jpg, .bmp

Accepts greyscale (8-bit) and color (8, 16 or 32-bit)--it will convert to greyscale upson submission.

It has an image calibration plugin built in so it can be in any resolution. If it was scanned, it will convert it to 1000ppi upon submission.

I've imported 51MB .tif images with no problems...just sluggish.
"It is possible to reconstruct a fingerprint with positive accuracy from a verbal description received by telephone or telegraph."
--E.K. Thode, chief of the National Division of Identification and Information, circa 1930
josher89

Postby Neville » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:12 pm

NEC does much the same has been used in Auckland NZ for the last 20years or so, must be sized before importing.
Neville

Postby Kossman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:26 pm

The Cogent system will import Tiff or Jpg files, 8 bit grayscale at 500 ppi.
Kossman

Return to Public CLPEX Message Board